Sustainahouse is a project of Sustain Mizzou. The house will provide a creative, learning opportunity as a sustainable living community for six students. Residents will engage in a year-long research project that will impact their lives, their peers and the Columbia community.These six students will make decisions about how to live sustainably with one another, using guideline set up by the previous two generations of sustainahouse residents. There are not rules about how to live in Sustainhouse: you must only be willing to work together and strive for a more positive impact on our planet and community! You do not need to be a member of Sustain Mizzou to live in the house, although participation is encouraged.
DESCRIPTION OF HOUSE:
The Sustainahouse is located on 210 North College within walking and biking distance of the MU Campus. The house has six bedrooms, two large rooms and one small room upstairs, two on the main floor and one in the basement, and full bathrooms on each floor. The house has two kitchens, two living rooms and a dining room. There are wood floors throughout the main floor and upstairs and new appliances in the kitchen. There is parking behind the house and space for a garden. This house is not wheelchair accessible.
THINGS TO KNOW:
- We will close the application process on December 7th at 5pm.
- To see the house and meet the current residents, you are invited to attend one of the bimonthly potlucks (Wed. Nov. 14, Wed. Dec. 5 at 7pm) or weekly family dinners (Every Thursday at 7pm), please contact Abigail if you need more specific directions or want to schedule another time to visit us (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- If you are chosen to live in Sustainahouse, we will notify you by December 9th, 2012. We will then expect you to confirm over Winter Break and return ready to sign the lease with the other residents in January.
- If you are chosen to live in Sustainahouse, you will be living with 5 other students who you may not know. The current residents of Sustainahouse are responsible for choosing these people. We will not make our decisions based on race, gender expression, sexual orientation, ethnicity, ability, etc. Therefore, please be ready to live in a diverse community and respect your new housemates!
- You will move in in late July, 2013
- You will be responsible for paying the rent the entire length of the lease (12 months)
- You will be signing a lease with the landowner, which includes a parent guarantee form in order to become a resident. This form will also need to be notarized (landowner policy).
- If there are more applicants than spots a waiting list will be created and you will be notified of your position on that list.
Please “like” us on facebook and look for application updates!